Labour Relations Intern
Want to jump-start your career in labour relations? Would you like to gain relevant experience in the construction industry working with significant players in the electrical power sector?
EPSCA (the Electrical Power Systems Construction Association) provides labour relations support to over 200 employers in Ontario by negotiating, interpreting and administering 19 collective agreements with 17 building trades unions.
In this role, you will be supporting the Labour Relations Specialists in facilitating meetings with multiple stakeholders including unions, owners and contractors, conducting research, and gaining expertise in providing labour relations advice to EPSCA clients.
Your work location will primarily be the EPSCA office at 190 Attwell Drive, Suite 580, Etobicoke, Ontario. The office is located approximately 10 kilometres north of the Kipling Subway Station, and parking is available and paid for by EPSCA.
Compensation is commensurate with skills and experience within the range of $17.00 - $22.00 an hour.
This is a contract position that would range from approximately May 1 - August 31, 2020.
What you’ll do:
- Review EPSCA collective agreements to establish a baseline understanding of negotiated language.
- Research and compare relevant industry collective agreements with existing EPSCA conditions for use in future collective bargaining.
- Assist labour relations specialists in the interpretation of EPSCA collective agreements to members.
- Exposure to Ontario Labour Relations Board, grievance mediation and labour/ management meetings.
- Job shadow labour relations specialists where applicable.
- Other duties as required.
What you need:
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or Master’s program in labour relations or a related field.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Ability to review large amounts of information and summarize key points.
- Strong communication skills to confidently explain information and converse with industry stakeholders.
- Familiarity with collective agreements is an asset.
Interested in working with us? Please forward your resume to Val DiFrancesco at email@example.com by January 24, 2020.